Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 7 - Homemade Fun!

I was getting a little stir crazy today with the girls, so I decided I needed an activity that would occupy them for the last hour before dinner. Luckily earlier in the week I had remembered to ask my Mum to email me the recipe for homemade playdough that she used to make for us as children! So I pulled out the recipe, whipped up a batch (using almost every ounce of salt we had left in the house!), colored it into 3 different balls and let the girls have some fun.

Jan 7 web

Maya wasn't heeding my advice about not eating the playdough (perfectly safe to eat, just not very pleasant due to the amount of salt!) and as a result she spent much of the next hour like this:

jan 7b web

Since the girls had so much fun with the playdough and it really costs very little to make, not to mention the benefit of having enough of each color for multiple children to play with and avoid the sibling fights (an hour of peaceful playing=priceless!!), I thought I would share the recipe!

Homemade Playdough (requires stovetop cooking):

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 cups water
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Food colouring of choice (I used gels, but liquids work well too)

Cook mixture in pan over medium heat, stirring all the time to prevent sticking.
Removed from heat when mixtures comes away from sides of pan. If you want different colors, separate mix and then add colour to each ball. Knead and store in airtight container. Keeps very well!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea of the 365...you're an inspiration :) But...I'm afraid I might have to postpone...maybe we'll begin when Dylan arrives and Don is home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back so many memories, how did the years slip away so quickly. Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - Don't wait to start! Honestly, even if you don't do anything with the photos other than have them on your computer, you will love looking back at the photos and seeing things you might otherwise forget about. I wish I picked up my camera more last year - this has just turned into a convenient way of sharing it with the family too :)

    ReplyDelete